Monday, September 7, 2026

Let it Go!

The LORD will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore. Psalm 121:8 

Such a promise.

But do we really believe it?

Do we believe it for those we love?

When in nursing school, I worked in the learning center/library. Often, when not needed to assist another student, I would sit in the librarian's office and chat. One day, I told her of a house for rent across the street from the school campus. "This way, if my car breaks down, I can still walk to class," I told her. She listened patiently.

Then, as I paused long enough to give her a word, she said something that rings in my ears whenever I begin to spiral today: "I see you like to borrow trouble for yourself."

Perplexed, I asked what she meant, and she explained that my idea of planning ahead for every contingency was, in effect, fretting about events that may never happen. 

I confess, I didn't take her words as a gentle warning; I was convinced that I needed to plan ahead. Consider every possible outcome and prepare. Predictability was obviously not meant to be part of our family's story.

By the time I started my first nursing job, I was having panic attacks I'd never dreamed possible in my life. Emotionally, I was in such a downward spiral that I considered sending my RN license back to the state, telling them they'd made a mistake in allowing me to take the boards.

Like the poem Footprints in the Sand, I can look back and see the path. In fact, every quarter would end, and I would hear the words in my heart, "You still don't trust me, do you?"

Footprints in the Sand: Courtesy Google Images

He had proved time and again that He would be with me through every day, every test, every triumph, and every failure. And yet, I panicked when I feared what might lie ahead.

I am certain I wore people out. I couldn't see beyond what I could control.

This is not about getting sympathy.

It's about taking control back through total surrender.

Opportunities to trust--entrust--our lives and the lives of those we love have presented themselves. (It's a life adventure for us all.) Every morning, I would pray, "Lord, I will trust you with ___. You do all things well." And through the day, I would experience peace as I waited on Him to do what He does best. On Friday, however, although I prayed the same way, believing every word to be true in my heart, I found myself growing more frustrated as the clock ticked away the day. Nothing went according to plan. And at the end of the day, I was angry.

I had no control over any of it.

Saturday, after sitting in the soiled mess of my frustration, I spent time listening to the soul cry of one of my loves. It was so beautiful and sincere. And then I heard Him in the depths of my soul, "You said you'd trust Me with this."

That I did. What I had forgotten to do was to surrender my right to control the situation. And here's the truth: I am incapable of changing my mind, my desires, or my attitudes without His intervention.

Behavior modification is temporary. Transformation by the work of the Holy Spirit is eternal. (John 15:5)

Surrender is our only option. Chasing the illusion of control breeds anxiety.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and do NOT lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make straight your paths. Be NOT wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD, and turn away from evil. It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones. (Proverbs 3:5-6)

I searched Google to find the official definition of the word entrust. I came across many dictionary sites, each saying some version of the same thing:

  1. Assignment of responsibility: to give someone the duty of caring for something important or valuable.
  2. Transfer of authority: To give someone the responsibility or authority to handle an action or task on your behalf.
  3. Conferral of confidence: To place trust in someone's character or ability.
  4.  Legal context: To legally assign funds or property to someone for management.
  5. Delegation: To delegate responsibility or authority to a person considered reliable.
  6. Faith placement: To assign a task or duty based on one's belief in the ability of another.
  7. Symbolic gesture: To signal a bond or agreement based on mutual trust.

Dictionary.com 

In Scripture, we are often told that we can entrust ourselves to God's care:

  1. Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make straight your paths.
  2. Isaiah 26:3 You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You.
  3. 1 Peter 5:7 ... casting all your anxieties on Him, because He cares for you.
  4. Psalm 55:22 Cast your burden on the LORD, and He will sustain you; He will never permit the righteous to be moved.
  5. Matthew 6:25 Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Therefore do not be anxious, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear/' For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
  6. Philippians 4:6-7 ... do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
  7. Psalm 34:4 I sought the LORD, and He answered me and delivered me from all my fears.
  8. John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; My peace I give you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.
  9. Isaiah 41:10 ... fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.
He is more than able to care for our needs. He is faithful and trustworthy. 

Until next time, find your rest in total surrender. 
💜 Karlene J 💜

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the reminder of Who is in control and how faithful He is to complete everything in us and through us. Relinquishing to our Father God is sometimes harder than we realize because as flesh and blood children of God we have a difficult time letting go of control. BUT GOD! He is more than able to do that within us what we cannot do in our own strength. Prayer is the KEY and FAITH unlocks the door to allow Him to do His perfect will in our hearts. How GREAT is our GOD. How blessed we are HE has the patience for us to get what the WORD tells us. Love you bushels. Keep keeping faithful to your calling in CHRIST JESUS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so much alike, it’s uncanny! My earthly Father instilled that sense of always being prepared and being able to do everything for myself deeply in me. He always wanted to know that he wouldn’t have to worry about me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad still presses me to reach for better, more, and greater ability to be self-sufficient. It is so counterintuitive to surrender all to His loving care. But Scripture promises he will defend the widow and the orphan; He will provide our every need according to His riches; He will fight our battles as we trust His ways ... <3 And even at my advanced age, I am learning that I don't have to strive so hard.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by. My hope is you will leave with some nugget of encouragement, hope, or inspiration.

If you would like to join my email list, please fill out the "contact me" form in the upper right corner.

God bless you now and always.

Let it Go!

The LORD will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore. Psalm 121:8  Such a promise. But do we really believe it? Do we bel...