"God, don't give up on me yet." (The King Will Come -- Yet)
A single plea within a song, beautifully sung, and likely resonates with many. I know it did with me.
For years, I would sit in my quiet spaces crying, pleading for God to please don't give up on me.
I had it wrong.
But I didn't realize it until someone said to me, "You know, Israel isn't a Christian nation."
And it's not. Neither is America these days, if we're honest. But Christians do live in both nations. Around the world, in fact.
Lately, I have been reading my Bible to learn more about my Father, God, instead of looking for answers to my own life. It's been an amazing journey.
I remember reading the Old Testament and getting frustrated with the Israelites. God would send someone to rescue them from bondage, enemy attack, and slavery. Their gratitude would last about 15-seconds until the next temptation presented. (Or so it seemed.) The people would inevitably fall for the temptress, rebel against God, and go their own way. Until things got messy and they needed their God to be stronger than the ones they were worshiping. And God would send another deliverer.
I was irritated with these people. And when I consider their stories, they aren't too different from my own. I cycle through trusting that my God can save me, confessing, committing my life, then getting distracted by the next shiny object that comes my way. (Sound familiar?)
As I considered these things, setting the statement of my friend next to the shortcomings of this ancient nation, a thought came to mind: what if that was the point?
What if choosing a nation that would time and again reject the Lord, His prophets, His Son, was the illustrated message we all need to behold?
Think about it. Since the promise was spoken to Abram until today, throughout Scripture, there are promises stating Israel will be one day restored. One day, Jesus will come and set up His throne in the new Jerusalem that will come down from heaven (Revelation 21:2).
God has assured His people throughout Scripture that He never changes (Malachi 3:6; Hebrews 13:8). His Word stands forever (Isaiah 40:8). All His promises are "yes and amen" (2 Corinthians 1:20).
We are a blip on the eternal radar right now. If God never changes, His promises never fail to be fulfilled. If His promises will be fulfilled, He has not given up on Israel. If He continues to wait patiently for Israel to return to Him (after thousands of years), He will not give up on us.
You see, it's not about how hard we try. Jesus reminds us, "I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in Me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing" (John 15:5 ESV). " It's whether we trust. Hebrews 11:6 says, "And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him" (NKJV). As we abide in Him, He will heal our brokenness and lead us to the paths of righteousness. We surrender to His work. It's not easy, but it's worth every step.
![]() |
| Always with you: Google Images |
He has promised, and He will fulfill. He Himself says, "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age. Amen" (Matthew 28:19-20 NKJV).
So he answered and said to me: "This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel: 'Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,' says the LORD of hosts" (Zechariah 4:6 NKJV).
Until next time, go in the peace only our Father can give.
💜 Karlene AJ 💜
ps. The song is a beautiful one. It was that one line that gave me pause, as I have been learning to quit striving and start trusting.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for stopping by. My hope is you will leave with some nugget of encouragement, hope, or inspiration.
If you would like to join my email list, please fill out the "contact me" form in the upper right corner.
God bless you now and always.